Dear Expectant Parents,
We are excited to help you welcome your new addition into your family. We know that this is a stressful time for you in the midst of the coronavirus epidemic. Please know that the staff of the Emerson Hospital Birthing Center is here to provide the best birthing experience possible for you and your baby.
In order to provide the safest environment for you, your baby and our care providers, we have some new policies we must follow. These are consistent with national, state and regional standards.
- Patients coming to the Birthing Center for an appointment cannot have a support person with them. Support people should remain in their car until the visit is complete.
- Patients coming to the Birthing Center for labor and delivery may have one non-symptomatic adult support person with them who remains for the entire hospital stay. They cannot leave the unit or they will not be allowed back in. No children are allowed in the unit at this time.
- Additional information related to labor and delivery in the Birthing Center:
- Patients should bring their infant car seat, clothes for discharge, clothes and amenities for themselves and their support person when they come in. That saves a trip home for the support person.
- Emerson Hospital maintains a strict no smoking on campus rule so please remember that patients and their support people may not go out to smoke. Your providers can assist you with non-smoking help.
- Pediatric and obstetric care providers will round on you and your baby after birth but will most likely talk with you over the phone rather than in person. This is to minimize exposure and maintain social distancing.
- We have sourced a local pharmacy that will deliver prescriptions at discharge here to the hospital to save you a trip. If you are interested in using this service, please notify your provider or nurse.
- We have additional resources to share with you to help cope with your new baby.
- If you are planning to breast feed, please sanitize your breast pump and its pieces, and bring to the hospital with you. The Lactation Specialists will ensure proper use before you go home.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your doctor and/or midwife.
Again, welcome to you and yours.
The Staff and Providers of the Birthing Center at Emerson Hospital